The Afters! After-Before Friday Anniversary Challenge

After-and-Before Friday Post HeaderHighlighting the creative magic behind post-processed photos

The Anniversary Afters are here! This week, you get to see over a dozen different post-processing interpretations of one image: a scene of the Arno River in Florence, Italy taken by Karen Chengelis ofΒ  KCinAZ. And, oh, what creativity there is. Opening the emails from each participant was like opening presents on Christmas!

It’s been a fun three weeks on ABFriday. To recap, back in Week 23, 11 photographers submitted unedited images and you, our loyal readers, then spent the next 10 days voting on which one you wanted to see post-processed by all of us. Last week, Week 25, we revealed Karen’s image the “winner.” And this week, Week 26, we celebrate After-Before Friday’s half-year anniversary with this very special post. All of us hope you enjoy it as much as we have enjoyed putting it together!

So, without further ado, here is Karen’s “before” image, followed by the “afters,” and at the end, a gallery of all so you can watch the changes as you scroll through. Be sure to click on the links to each participant’s blog – you’ll find their own posts “uncovering the magic” behind their “after” images!

Riverfront

Submitted by Karen Chengelis — KCinAZ

Arno Riverfront, Florence, Italy

Submitted by Stacy Fischer — Visual Venturing

Arno River Old Time Photo
Arno River Detail Extracted

Okay, so I cheated a bit and submitted two images, but I just couldn’t decide which one I liked better. And I figure as the forum curator, I have a little leeway πŸ™‚ Also,Β I wanted to have this post flow from one image to the next, so I’m breaking out of my ABF mold and will write a separate post on my post-processing steps.

Submitted by Emilio Pasquale — Photos by Emilio

Arno Riverfront, Florence, Italy

Emilio says: Well, I’ve been having a lot of fun with being the runner-up to Karen’s winning submission! I wanted to wax philosophical about my loss and looked up a few quotes. They are, in no particular order:

“The biggest thing I learned from losing? Winning’s better.” Ted Turner

“Show me a good loser, and I’ll show you a loser.” Vince Lombardi

“Second place is just the first place loser.” Dale Earnhardt

“Just because I lost, doesn’t make me a loser!” Emilio Pasquale

Submitted by Robin Kent — PhotographybyKent

Robin Kent, PhotographybyKent

Submitted by Janice Meyers Foreman — jmeyersforeman photography

Janice Meyers Foreman, jmeyersforeman photography

Janice says: I wanted to create something that was completely my own. I have in the past used a textured layer, to enhance and change images. When combining images with a textured layer, I have an an opportunity to expand the image from what I saw, to what I felt. By adding textures to the image along with other Photoshop processes, I can change the mood and convey the emotions I felt when witnessing what was before the camera. It was interesting that this image was chosen for the forum, as I had just a couple of weeks ago travelled to Florence and photographed the same river and bridge! I remember the feeling of wonder as I walked down the street viewing the artists sitting painting. I knew I wanted to create an image that reflected those beautiful watercolours as well as the scene before me.

Submitted by LorΓ© Dombaj — Snow’s Fissures and Fractures

Arno River, LorΓ© Dombaj

LorΓ© says: Facing the challenge of editing the same image as the rest of our merry little band, made me think really hard. I guessed there would be some monochrome versions, some cropped versions and versions that would probably make my jaw drop in astonishment. So, I decided to go overboard and play to the fullest. When I figured out I wanted to turn the image into a painting-look-alike, the biggest thing was to crop it, so I coud get this long, streched composition mimicking the real canvas. When I converted it into oil painting through FotoSketcher, I played some more with colors and exposure. Voila!

Submitted by Shane Francescut — The Weekly Minute

Arno Riverfront, Florence, Italy

Submitted by Katie Prior — Drawing with Light

Arno Riverfront, Florence, Italy

Katie says: Congratulations to Stacy on her 6 month anniversary and thanks to her for organising it and LorΓ© for sowing the seed of an idea that has grown into the post that is AfterBeforeFriday “The Reveal!”.

Submitted by Benjamin Rowe — aperture64

Arno Riverfront, Florence, Italy

Submitted by Manal Ali — A Single Shutter

Arno Riverfront, Florence, Italy

Submitted by Cee Neuner β€” Cee’s Photography

Arno Riverfront, Florence, Italy
Arno Riverfront, Florence, Italy

Submitted by Jaime Perez β€” My Photolanguage

Arno Riverfront, Florence, Italy

Β Please click on the links of those who contributed this week, to read about their post-processing steps and/or to see what other treasures they have on their blogs. They’d love to have you visit!

So what do you think of the ABFriday forum?

Feel free to leave your thoughts and suggestions in the comment section. And don’t forget to view the guidelines if you want to participate. I’d love to have you onboard!

58 thoughts on “The Afters! After-Before Friday Anniversary Challenge

1. Really great to see the variations in post processing, I love how creative everyone was and it was great participating in this! Also great to see where you could have improved in your own processing πŸ™‚

2. Oh I thought we would get to vote again. I was revving up for it. Haha! I thought it was so interesting to see all the different moods that were reflected in the various edits. After some pondering I think my fave is Emilio’s … the darkened clouds with the light sifting through provides a sense of foreboding, like something bad is about to happen – it almost needs mood music. Happy anniversary. Good work organising !

• LOL! Nope, voting’s over. But Emilio had so much fun, he wants to do this again πŸ™‚ I’ll have to make sure he gets back here to read your comment – it will make him very happy, after all his angst over having the second most chosen image! Thanks for “playing”!

3. Great job everybody! Love the color pallet represented in that wonderful gallery at the end. It’s so incredible the different visions of everyone on the picture. I like them all; inclusive Stacy’s monochrome, it looks so elegant!
    Comment apart to Robin’s version because it’s quite different from the style we’re used to see from him; very innovating. And, also, to Ben and Emilio’s treatment of the sky, the hardest part of the image; amazing result!
    But, what I would like to highlight the most is the aim of all the participants around the idea, and the reflected enthusiasm of the ABFriday community with this wonderful project.
    So, congratulations to you all and, especially, to Stacy, for being the engine (and leader) that kept everything in order and working properly for the success of this first great event that was “Week 26th”!

• How fun it is to have you part of this, Jaime! Each image was instructive in its own right – I’m eager to finally get some time today to visit everyone’s posts to read about their processes. Glad you liked my monochrome – I got a “sorry, I didn’t really like that one” from my other half πŸ˜‰ It was fun to have everyone working together to bring the project together, and everyone was good sports about promoting the challenge on their own blogs. All in all, a successful anniversary celebration, made even sweeter by you returning for the event!

Liked by 1 person

4. Stacy.. sorry for the so late post on your image. I too like others really liked your black and white rendition. You have a great eye for showing off the b/w, but I also loved the pastel look of your second image. This was a lot of fun and a lot of hard work on your part to pull it off. Kudos to you for pulling it all together!

• Ben, that’s a great thought about the water. I’m going to crop it using a 16×9 ratio – and I think you’re right that it will become a much stronger image. Thanks for that! It was fun to try two totally different approaches πŸ™‚

5. About your two versions; I was headed towards a b & w version but then thought it was a disservice to the colorful buildings. I now see I was wrong. The texture of the paint on the buildings is now more obvious to me. I also like the slight tone you added. In your color version it looks like you might have played with the color in the water as well as adding a bit of highlighting on the buildings. It will be interesting to see what you actually did when you write your post!

• Oops, guess I really do need to get to that post πŸ˜‰ Thanks, Emilio. You’re the third who has liked the B&W, and I say that because my hubby didn’t. I’ll just have to make sure he reads all these posts πŸ™‚ You added beautiful highlights to yours, but I’m going to comment on your own blog about that!

• Thanks, Amy πŸ™‚ Congratulations to all of us – it was a group effort in so many ways, from ideas about how best to go about it to everyone being willing to deal with the different information that was needed on certain Fridays πŸ™‚

6. Congratulations, Stacy on organizing a great multi-participant post. And thanks go to LorΓ© for coming up with the idea. I was amazed at the many different ways the image was interpreted. There is a wealth of talent in this group. Stacy, I like you monochrome interpretation a lot. It has a soft, dream-like mood that is perfect for the scene.

• Thanks, Robin! It was fun, wasn’t it? Emilio is so excited he wants to make it a recurring event! As for the monochrome, as I said to Janice, my husband told me he didn’t like that one … oh, well. Good thing we get along in spite of our artistic differences πŸ™‚ I feel vindicated that a few of you DO like it!

7. Hi Stacy, I love your monochrome, sometimes it is hard to choose, between colour and monochrome! this has been a wonderful challenge, great to see so many different types of processes, and get to know everyone! thanks for all your hard work, and thanks for including my images from week to week!

8. Wow! I am blown away by the talent represented in this post and I believe this to be the most exciting challenge I have ever participated in. I think it should be a recurring event. Once a month wouldn’t be too often for my taste. I think you learn a lot more when you all work on the same image. I had problems with the sky and it was nice to read what Ben did- though I didn’t understand one word he was saying as I have never gone near Photoshop. I can’t wait to get to work today so I can comment to everyone (don’t tell my boss but yes, that’s where I do most of my commenting from). Stacy, if you don’t make this a recurring event I might just have to do it myself! Thank you for coming up with the idea (whose idea was it again?). I am still so excited by the results ! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

• Emilio, I’m so enjoying your excitement over the challenge! Pardon my late response – I hope your enthusiasm hasn’t dwindled any πŸ˜‰ It would be fun to do this again. Obviously, we wouldn’t need to do a poll. We could submit via rotation for those who want to do this. I’ll send an email out to all who participated here to gauge interest. And it was LorΓ©’s idea πŸ™‚

9. You people really took this challenge seriously! I am blown away by what others did and a little bit diaspointed in my own work, I should have done more. To top it off, I sent Stacy a wrong image. πŸ˜€ No significant difference, just a little bit of angling and coloring.
    Stacy, stunning editing job on both. There is a silver shade on your monochrome that makes the whole scene shine. And the colors on the other are too beatiful to put in words. Amazing work.
    I’ll be visiting other participants and try to leave my impresions.

10. Great post Stacy, well done for bringing it together for us! Nice to see Jaime again too. I like both your images, but the toned down colour image looks superb. I look forward to the post processing post to see how you did your sky, I’m intrigued! πŸ™‚

• Cardinal, it would be wonderful to have you along! This week was special, with all of us post-processing the same image. The normal procedure is for you to choose your own image that you post-process. You submit both images to me that I include in my post. Here’s an explanation of how it works: After-Before Friday Forum/, with links to all the past posts so you can see an example. You can participate as often or as little as you wish. If you have any questions, let me know. I look forward to your participation! β€Ž

Any thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s